Victoria Park, Manchester, was conceived in the 1830s as a private and exclusive housing estate for the wealthy of Manchester.
The original plans of 1836 showed a church, but it was not until 1874 that work began on building the church. The parish was
carved from local parishes, especially St James, Birch, and the curate of St James, William Marsden, became the first Vicar of St
Chrysostom’s. The Anson family were among the original benefactors of the church, and Archdeacon Anson was, at the time, Vicar
of St James, Birch. The family are commemorated in the naming of the Anson Chapel. St Chrysostom’s was consecrated on
October 13th 1877 by Bishop Fraser of Manchester.
In 1904 the church suffered a catastrophic fire, which left only a stone shell standing. For a while the congregation worshipped in a
temporary buiding. John Ely, architect, and member of the congregation, was asked to restore the church. The restoration worked
to retain as much as possible of the appearance of the building before the fire. Consequently much of the interior of the church
resembles that of the 1877 building.
The area which St Chrysostoms serves has changed considerably to be a multi-cultural area with many student dwellings. St
Chrysostom’s remains significant and prominent in the landscape and life of the parish. Through the years the church served the
area faithfully, with a succession of dedicated clergy.
Minor alterations have been made to the appearance of the church – including moving the main altar forward and removing some
pews to provide a spacious social area. The vestry block was refurbished. In recent years the gardens at the side of the church, in
Conyngham Road, have been developed and improved. They include a memorial garden and an indigenous plant garden.